Hey everyone!
Sorry it has taken forever to post about this past weekend. It has been a crazy week trying to get all my school work done. I took my first test this morning and I just finished my first paper. I hope it all goes well.
So this past weekend I went to Pompeii, Sorrento, the Island of Capri, and hiked up Mount Vesuvio. It was more than amazing.
So Friday morning, our study abroad group got up and had to catch the bus at 6:00! It was so early, but thankfully I was so tired and was able to sleep the whole trip. We had one stop for breakfast/bathroom break and there we found the most gorgeous group of guys ever! They were all in uniform and walked in slowly, taking off their sunglasses in slow motion. It was like they were out of a movie. When they walked out the door to leave, our group was waiting on the stragglers and I couldn't help but to stare. Literally. Pointing with my mouth hanging open. Grandma will be so disappointed, but they were beautiful.
We finally arrived in Pompeii and ate lunch (Pizza and french fries are a staple here) before heading into the Ruins. Our advisor at LDM, Luca, knew all about the history and gave us a complete tour. I found this fascinating since this is what I had studied in Latin. It was also kinda creepy seeing the bodies that were preserved and some still had their teethe. It was sad and depressing, but amazing all at the same time.
After leaving Pompeii, we headed into Sorrento where our hotel, The Michelangelo, was located. It was a 4 star hotel and beautiful, but my room had a very unpleasant view of the train tracks. We all ate dinner in the hotel restaurant that was soo good. My first dish was a mussle, pasta, and potato dish that was delightful. Second course was stuffed swordfish with a limchello sauce. That was alright, but I wasn't too fond of the stuffing. And for desert, I had some coffee stuff. Not exactly sure what it was, but it was definately good. We were also provided both white and red wine, which were the best since I have had since I've arrived.
After dinner, a group of us wint out to some American bar that was having karokee. It was an interesting outing because they would play of a song then change it. Not to mention half the songs I had never heard of and the other half were from like 10 years ago. But none the less, I had a great time and called in early since I had an early start off to Capri on Saturday morning.
Saturday morning, I woke up and had breakfast at the hotel. It was kinda weird because they had lots of deli meats, but I love Salami and cheese and bread, so I made a sandwhich. After breakfast, we left around 8 to catch our boat over to Capri. I didn't think anything of the clouds, since all days seem to start off cloudy and chilly. But when we arrived, our group was informed because of the weather conditions and roughness of the sea, we were not allowed to go out on a boat or into the Blue Grotto. I was completely devasted becuase I have seen pictures from past students and I have also done lots of research. I think I almsot cried because I had come so far and wasn't going to get to do one of the things I was looking foward to most.
Thankfully, the day turned around. As a subsitute, we took a trolly car to the middle (heading up the cliffs) of the island. From there we were able to take these super cool swings to the highest point. The view was amazing! I was absolutely amazed by the beauty and wish I could live there forever. The ride up and down was very peaceful and I called mom to check in on the family since I knew they were all in DC celebrating Christopher's graduation. I was very sad I couldn't be there to celebrate such an accomplishment with him and to be able to tell him how proud of him I am.
After we came down from the top of the cliffs, a large group of us ate at the restaurant where Mariah Carey, Beyonce, and Jay Z have ate. It was a beautiful restaurant and the wait staff was super nice and super duper cute. Of course, I had pizza but it was probably some of the best I've had since I've been here.
After lunch, some friends and I wanted to play in the Mediterrean and since there was no chance of getting on a boat we thought we would climb down to the ocean. It was a hard and crazy hike, but we finally made it to the bottom and ended up near the two famous rocks when you look up Capri. We took some amazing photos and I got to play on the rocks, but to all of our disappointment, we weren't even able to put our toes in the water. I was so disappointed and I tried to stretch so far, but I just couldn't do it. I was almost to the point where I just wanted to jump in, but I was scared I wouldn't make it out alive.
And then Lauren's phone rang and my roommate and another girl on our trip needed more people for a boat ride. We ran through the middle of the cliff to get to the trolly car since we only had 20 minutes. Of couse, we made it and had an hour boat ride around the island of capri! We were able to jump off the boat into the Mediterrean and it was the prettiest bluest water I had ever seen. Unfortunately, I had my contacts in and couldnt open my eyes under water, but I was told you could see the bottom about 25 feet below us. It was the best ending to our day at Capri and I will never ever forget that day!
Upon returning to Sorrento, we once again had Pizza for dinner and then we had a couple of drinks at the hotel bar on the terrace and then called it an early night.
On Sunday, we went to Mount Vesuvio and I hiked to the very top. For very different reasons, this adventure was beautiful. One of the girls in my group of friends has asthma and we all stayed together so we could make sure she made it to the top since we were told she couldn't. We did it as a group and that made it amazing. Unfortunaly, I wasn't impressed with the top fo the volcano, nor the view, but at least I could say I hiked to the top.
Since then, I've been back in school and trying to get all my assignments done. I succeeded in getting them done and now it is just a wait for the grades. I am trying not to care so I don't spend all my time worrying so I can enjoy the city.
I had my second cooking class this evening where I learned how to make three different kinds of bruschetta, this yummy tomato soup, some steak dish, and a cake. It was all so good and I can't wiat to come home and show off my cooking skills!
I have also spent a few hours tonight packing because I leave for Paris in 6 hours! I'll probably update while I am there and eventually try and get this past weekend's pictures posted sometime!
Love you all and have a fabulous weekend!
jess
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment